On the north coast of Jamaica, in the parish of Trelawney, sits the town of Falmouth. The town was founded in 1769 and named for the birthplace of William Trelawney, the Governor of Jamaica at that time.
Trelawney was apparently very involved in the establishment of the town, which was beautifully planned, with wide, grid-lined streets, lined with Georgian buildings, which enjoyed piped water before New York city.
During the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the town thirved, with more than 100 sugar and rum plantations in the parish. Tall ships filled the harbour, many of with were bound for Britain and Falmouth’s namesake town across the Atlantic. As Falmouth had become a key port for slave traders, many of those ships held prisoners, being transported in inhumane conditions. After the emancipation of slaves in 1838, the town’s fortunes faded.
However, in recent times there are plans which mirror those under discussion in Cornwall’s Falmouth, and the construction of a multi-million dollar cruise ship port to host giant cruise liners is already underway. In the not too distant future, it may be possible to enjoy a return trip from Falmouth to Falmouth. Find out more about the Jamaican town and its Cornish connections at: falmouthpo.com